Tuesday, July 6, 2010

Artful Influence

"Field of Gold"
© 2010 Nancy Laliberte
5" x 7" acrylic on archival paper
Sold

Ok, I'll admit it. Besides painting and drawing, I love art history, art books of any kind, frequenting art galleries and museums, reading art blogs, etc. I love being under the influence of art!
Living in Wausau, Wisconsin, I am very fortunate to have access to a terrific museum in town called the Woodson Art Museum. Their annual Birds in Art show juries in artists from all over the WORLD. It is spectacular. And, every year through generous donations they are able to purchase pieces from the show to add to their permanent collection. That said, one of my favorite artists (and there are many) who has been often included in the show is a painter from the Netherlands named Ewoud de Groot. In my opinion, everything about his work is outstanding, but I especially like his brushwork. In this piece I wanted to experiment with a kind of mosaic type of brushwork in the field to give it depth and show the layers of color a field has when you take the time to really look at it. I had a lot of fun with and will definitely try it again.

No comments: