Tuesday, November 8, 2011

One Day in June

"Ridge View"
© Nancy Laiberte
11" x 14" oil on canvas panel
available

One day in June...
on a very windy day, I started this painting out in a field in Wisconsin. It was so windy the paint would dry before I could get my brush to the canvas. Somehow I managed to lay in a few color notes and basic shapes. Fast forward months later when the ground is brown and the trees are leafless, I relive one day in June, in my studio, with no wind, and plenty of time to move paint from palette to canvas. While I love the comfort of my studio, there is something to be said for being out in the field, being in the moment and painting. 

2 comments:

Kathy Cousart said...

Beautifully done! The sky is gorgeous. Great idea to finish this one as it is a treasure from that June day. I am learning that at times like that painting plein air, you just get the color notes in and do the best you can! You did:)

Crystal Cook said...

What a beautiful piece Nancy. It has such a great feeling of summer. I love it. :) And your thoughts really touched me too.