Monday, June 7, 2010

Painter Klatch

"Grazing"
© 2010 Nancy Laliberte
5" x 7" acrylic on paper
Available at New Visions Gallery, Marshfield, WI

I just came off of a very exciting weekend! My oldest son graduated from high school; way to go Ryan! He also delivered an incredible speech at his commencement ceremony. I am very, very proud of him. Also, my daughter's soccer team won their regional final and continue on to sectionals later this week. Her team won their conference, too. And, my youngest finished up kindergarten. Meanwhile, before all of that hit, I had the chance to have a "painter klatch" with some different acrylic paints with my good friend Val B. I worked with a new formula of the Winsor & Newton acrylic paints and kept it to a simple color palette. I don't think I am as much of a paint connoisseur as Val, but the W&N acrylics have less of a color shift wet to dry compared to some of the other brands out there, and they have a nice soft sheen to them which I think gives them a bit of life. Pictured above is the piece I painted during our get together, and below is my set up.




2 comments:

Mary Sheehan Winn said...

The painting could be an oil if one didn't know.
I haven't used acrylic since art school where I developed and avoidance specifically because of the color/value shift when you add water.
Good information.

Nancy Laliberte said...

Thanks Mary. I always have to remind myself to push the values a bit to accommodate the shift. I am really liking Golden Open acrylics. I find they are a compromise between oils and fast-drying acrylics. Like most new things, they have a bit of a learning curve (which I am still learning! LOL).