Tuesday, April 24, 2012

Painting with Paper

"The Power of Pink I"
© Nancy Laliberte
24" x 24" x 1-1/2" collage on wood panel
gift to YWCA, Wausau WI

I recently completed a very fun hand-painted paper collage project that I had been working on for several weeks. It was done in conjunction with a 12" x 12" one I created this past winter. A while back I facilitated a group art project at a women's breast health event at Aspirus Wausau Hospital. Working with several groups of participants I had the ladies paint, stamp, doodle and share their personal stories on various types of paper. By the end of the evening we had created some beautiful and unique paper. Back at my studio, I layered the painted paper to create a multifaceted art piece filled with the energy of each person who shared a piece of themselves that night. 

Besides using the painted paper created at the breast health event, I also included pieces of my palette paper and other ephemera such as my 8-year-old son's homework, Dove® dark chocolate wrappers, memorable fortune cookie sayings, postage stamps, newspaper clippings, stickers, old sheet music, and more. 



A detail image showing some of the uniquely painted papers.

This detail shot includes my son's homework in the lower right corner, pieces of dried palette paper, paint splattered paper toweling, and a postage stamp to name a few.



"The Power of Pink II"
© Nancy Laliberte
12 x 12" x 1-1/2" collage on wood panel
gift to Aspirus Women's Health at Aspirus Wausau Hospital, Wausau WI

Read more about this piece here.

Now that I have my studio cleaned up (although I am still finding bits and pieces of collage paper all over my house and myself!) and set up for daily painting again, look for more regular blog posts, and definitely more collages.  : )

8 comments:

Crystal Cook said...

Oh my goodness Nancy that is simply incredible! So much love, and effort went into this and it really shows. It's amazing. :)

Nancy Laliberte said...

Thank you, Crystal. It was a very special project near and dear to my heart.

Sharon Rotz said...

A mere photo cannot begin to show the power of this work of art. You have out-done yourself (and that's no easy task).

Nancy Laliberte said...

Thanks, Sharon!

mary maxam said...

This is wonderful! I'm glad you posted the close up as well. I love the painted papers, makes me want to try it!

suzannepaints said...

Very, very beautifully painted.

Nancy Laliberte said...

Thanks, Mary and Suzanne. Finding and painting collage papers was one of my favorite parts of the process. I imagined each torn piece of paper as a brushstroke, and just started "painting" away.

Sandy Graeser Haynes said...

What a fantastic piece ! All the time and effort.... and the wonderful show of expression from each personal reflection. wow... great !