Wednesday, June 6, 2012

Starts and Finishes, and The Graduate

"An Apple a Day"
© Nancy Laliberte
4" x 4" x 1-3/8" acrylic on gallery-wrapped canvas
Click here to purchase

Yep, I'm still here. It has been an incredibly busy spring! My painting time has been just small chunks here and there and so 4" x 4"s (I like to call them Petite Peintures) are the perfect size for working on those starts and finishes of the painting process. It's learning to work through the exciting, adrenaline-filled starts, the middle "what the heck am I thinking? this isn't going to work" talk, to the finishing touches that make a painting come together. It's the process--experimenting with brushwork, subject matter, color, lighting and all of that good stuff that makes me keep coming back for more. 

This painting looks great sitting on a shelf or desk and would also make a great teacher thank you gift.


The (happy!) Graduate

And a congratulatory shout out to my daughter Erika who recently graduated from Wausau East High School as co-Valedictorian. She will be heading to Ripon College this fall. I think the smile says it all. 

5 comments:

Crystal Cook said...

That apple painting is fab nancy. Very simple but powerful brushstrokes. And your graduate is a beaming beauty!! Congrats to both of you! Although maybe i should be consoling you too? It's a bittersweet thing I guess. Baby girl growing up and all. :)

Nancy Laliberte said...

Thanks, Crystal! Simple is better when getting back in the painting groove. And yes, definitely bittersweet.

Marilyn R Miller said...

What a spring!!! Congratulations!

I am happy to see you back with a brush and the Apple is beautiful. Love the soft edges!
Your grad is gorgeous!
So is you Blog... I think this is a new look....

Barbara Muir said...

Love the apple. Congratulations to your gorgeous graduate too.

XO Barbara

Nancy Laliberte said...

Thanks so much, Marilyn, and yes, I have made a few tweaks here and there. It is a process, just like painting! ; )
Thank you, Barbara. Always good to see your happy face!