Tuesday, October 25, 2011

Being open to opportunity

Earlier this year a physician friend from Aspirus Wausau Hospital approached me about being a guest artist for a women's breast health event she was planning for October. As a woman, wife, mother, artist, and breast cancer survivor, I did not hesitate. Of course, I would help out and direct an art project as one of the sessions. I came up with the idea of a collage as it could incorporate journaling, doodling, painting, stamping, in other words a variety of techniques for all levels of "artists." I also contacted Elizabeth St. Hilaire Nelson (queen of collage), ordered her DVD and got started.

I painted a slew of collage papers prior to the event to experiment (what a blast!), and to have some on hand for participants who, perhaps, would be "shy" about actually painting. There are always a few in the mix. ;-)

 I worked with five different groups of gals over the course of the evening. They came up with some pretty amazing collage papers that included journaling, doodling, painting and stamping. I am so proud and excited about the results--they are works of art in and of themselves.

 Prior to the event I made an acrylic under painting on a 1-1/2" cradled wood panel from American Easel ordered from Blick. I had never used these before and I really like them!

The work in progress, incorporating collage papers made by "artists" from Aspirus Wausau Hospital's "Goin' Out for the Girls" event. I'll continue to post this as it progresses.

And, here is Elizabeth St. Hilaire Nelson's blog link, Paper Paintings. Her work and her life story are both pretty amazing!

Check back tomorrow and I'll have another post about being open to opportunity.
Have a great day!
N

1 comment:

Jane said...

What a beautiful bouquet, really love the bold rose color of the Tulips.